Car Accident Lawyer in Des Moines, IA
Side impact accidents are also referred to as t-bone collisions and are some of the most dangerous car accidents to human life. When one vehicle strikes the side of another, the accident victim, whether driver or passenger, only has a window and car door to protect them from the impact. If a vehicle is hit by a larger vehicle, the result of the crash can be even worse. Furthermore, the force of a t-bone accident may force the car that is hit into oncoming traffic, and the vehicle could be hit a second or even a third time.
As a result, injuries can be severe, and fatalities are common during t-bone accidents. Not only might you be substantially injured, but your vehicle will likely be significantly damaged as well. When a t-bone accident happens to you, you would be well-advised to contact a lawyer right away. Experienced car accident attorneys can help to ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and your vehicle repairs or replacement.
Reasons Why T-Bone Car Accidents Happen
Common reasons for t-bone accidents include:
- Distracted driving: When people are driving distracted, they may take their eyes off the road for one reason or another. Texting, talking on a cellphone, or being otherwise distracted, can lead to running a red light, speeding, or engaging in other unsafe driving practices that can lead to a side-impact crash.
- Running a stop sign or red light: Side impact collisions frequently occur at stop signs and intersections. Depending on the speed at which the other car is traveling, the vehicle being struck may be propelled by the force of impact into other cars on the road, leading to a crash involving multiple vehicles. This can become even more challenging if the negligent driver is speeding.
- Driving while intoxicated: Being under the influence of intoxicating substances, such as drugs and alcohol, significantly impairs a driver’s reaction time, judgment, vision, and other driving skills, leading to accidents.
- Failure to yield: Traffic laws dictate when a driver should yield the right of way to another driver. Failure to do so at stop signs, four-way stops, traffic circles, or merging can lead to t-bone accidents.
- Speeding: Reaction time and breaking time are compromised when a driver travels too fast. Speeding is a significant cause of traffic accidents, including t-bone accidents
- Unsafe left turns: A driver making a left turn only has the right of way to turn on a green-arrow traffic signal. In other situations, the vehicle operator must yield to oncoming traffic, bicyclists, and pedestrians. A t-bone collision or other traffic accident is likely when a driver fails to yield the right of way, or misjudges his or her ability turn safely.
Recovery from car accident injury can be lengthy. You may need help to pay medical bills and cover lost wages. If you’ve been injured in a t-bone collision or another type of motor vehicle accident due to the negligence or recklessness of another person, contact a car accident lawyer in Des Moines, IA as soon as possible to schedule a consultation.
Call Johnston | Martineau, LLP for their insight into personal injury claims and car accidents.