Should you sue the owner when a dog bites your child?
A dog bite lawyer Des Moines IA families turn to from Johnston | Martineau, PLLP can help you if your child was attacked by a dog. Call us at (515) 493-4878 to speak with one of our attorneys to find out more. A dog bite lawyer in Des Moines IA from our firm can review your case at no charge to you.
If your child was attacked by a dog, a dog bite lawyer Des Moines IA victims trust can help you recover the costs associated with that attack. Though the dog’s owner or their insurance company may have offered you compensation, it may not be a fair amount when considering the seriousness of the injury.
Dog Bite Injury Compensation
Victims of dog bites, even those who are children, have the right to compensation for their accident damages. (In the cases of minor children, their parents or adult guardians will receive and manage any compensation the children receive.) A dog bite lawyer Des Moines IA locals recommend from Johnston | Martineau, PLLP can work with you to determine the extent of your child’s injuries. His or her injuries may include mental and emotional injuries, as well as physical ones. They are considered damages and may be eligible for compensation in addition to these other costs you might face as a result of the dog bite:
- Surgery. A Des Moines dog bite lawyer may be able to justify costs for anticipated surgeries in addition to what your child has already undergone for treatment of the dog bite.
- Future, current, and previous medical treatments, surgeries, medications, physical and emotional therapy. If your child is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of the dog bite attack, this can be considered an injury as well and may be eligible for compensation. However, an appropriate licensed medical professional will have to confirm that your child is, in fact, suffering PTSD.
- Replacement or repair of physical property damaged or destroyed during the dog attack. This can include clothing, stroller, etc.
- Time off from work for which you lost compensation because you had to take your injured child to doctors’ appointments and other accident-related tasks.
- Disfigurement, scarring, or disability caused by the dog bite. An experienced dog bite lawyer Des Moines IA residents choose from Johnston | Martineau, PLLP can explain in more detail about standard values for each type of injury, depending on their severity. For instance, permanent scarring will be worth more than temporary cuts. Any type of permanent injury will be worth more than if the injury is temporary.
Justice for Your Child
If your child was seriously injured from a dog bite, we may be able to help you collect maximum compensation from the dog’s owner. You may be eligible to recover the accident costs from those responsible. For a free consultation, contact Johnston | Martineau, PLLP at (515) 493-4878 to request a free consultation with a respected dog bite lawyer Des Moines IA offers.