If you were injured in a bike accident, consider talking to a bike accident lawyer Des Moines IA trusts. An experienced lawyer from Johnston | Martineau, P.L.L.P. may help you obtain compensation for your injuries. You may be able to collect financial damages for the pain and suffering inflicted by a bicycling accident.
Causes of Bike Accidents
Even if bicyclists take all the necessary precautions, they can still get into accidents with other vehicles on the road. Some common causes of bike accidents include:
- Driver fails to check side view mirrors before changing lanes and hits a bicyclist
- Driver doesn’t yield for a bicyclist
- Hazardous road conditions
Because bicyclists have few safety features on their bikes to protect them against crashes, they are more likely to get hurt during accidents. An experienced bike accident lawyer Des Moines IA respects may help an injured bicyclist file a lawsuit and get compensated.
Evidence in a Bike Accident Claim
In order to prove that the other driver was at fault during the accident, an injured bicyclist must provide certain evidence, including:
- Photos of the Accident Scene: If you are able, try to take several photos of the bike accident scene. Take clear photos of the vehicle that hit you, the damage to your bike, and any skid marks on the road.
- Your Bike: Don’t get your bike repaired before your claim is settled. Take your bike to the insurance company as it is, so they may properly inspect the damages.
- Medical Records: After you get treated for your injuries, get copies of the medical records from your doctor. These records should include important information about your injuries, such as how severe they are and if they require future treatments or not.
- Witness Statements: If there were any witnesses present during the bike accident, ask for their names and contact information. They may be able to testify on your behalf in court.
If the evidence you currently have isn’t sufficient, your bike accident lawyer in Des Moines IA may help you obtain more.
How a Bike Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you were involved in a bike accident, it may be in your best interest to hire a bike accident lawyer Des Moines IA relies on. Here are some of the ways an experienced lawyer may help you with your case:
- Higher Settlement: A Des Moines bike accident lawyer may get you a higher settlement for the damages you suffered during the accident. He or she may know the approximate value of your injuries and could fight hard to ensure the insurance company gives your fair compensation.
- Knowledge and Experience: A reputable bike accident lawyer has likely handled similar cases to yours in the past and may know what evidence is needed to win a case. If you don’t have enough evidence, he or she may help you obtain the evidence you need to prove your case.
- Works on a Contingency Basis: A bike accident lawyer Des Moines IA counts on likely works on a contingency fee, so you won’t owe him or her money unless you win your case.
If you are looking for a bike accident lawyer Des Moines IA offers, contact Johnston | Martineau, P.L.L.P. at (515) 493-4878.